Hillfield Court, so named in commemoration of the grand housewhich formerly stood on the site, was just one part of a larger development. The scheme also included two other mansion blocks - Tudor Close (1935) to the back of the estate; and on Haverstock Hill, a parade of shops with Hillfield Mansions above (1934), which remained in the ownership of Hillfield Estates Ltd for many years. The parade incorporated an Odeon cinema, one of the first in London, which opened in September 1934. The flagship of the Odeon chain for several years, it was demolished in the 1970s. Bennett’s design for Hillfield Court provided 113 flats over six storeys, in seven different layouts and intended to suit a variety of tenants. At Hillfield Court, he adopted the 'dining-hall' in some layouts, for more efficient use of the available space. There were hand-operated hoists from the ground floor so groceries, etc. could be delivered direct to every kitchen. A boiler room provides hot water to all flats and heating to common parts. Originally there was a central store for tenants' own coal, carried up by porters to be burned on the open fires. From its inception Hillfield Court was considered a very prestigious block, not least because of its magnificent, spacious gardens. Griggs & Son Ltd of Victoria St, London were contractors who developed land in Pinner, built some theatre for the Astoria group in London and in Brighton and built at least two other theatres in the West End. Griggs & Son developed the Hillfield site to cater for the high demand for mansion blocks. [abridged from Wikipedia article].